Enrollment as a non-degree student is subject to approval by the Office of Admissions provided the student is in good academic standing at the last institution attended. Applicants who have been denied admission as a degree-seeking student or who missed the deadline for submitting a degree-seeking application will not be considered for enrollment as a non-degree student.
Course registration is on a space-available basis and, in some cases, may require departmental approval. Coursework taken as a non-degree student carries no degree credit.
- Up to 15 semester hours earned as an undergraduate non-degree student may be applied toward an undergraduate degree only with the approval of the appropriate dean upon acceptance into a degree program.
- Up to 12 semester hours earned as a graduate non-degree student may be applied toward a graduate degree only with the approval of the appropriate department chair and dean upon acceptance into a degree program (provided that a grade of "B" [3.0] or better has been achieved).
Non-degree students must adhere to the same academic rules that applies to degree-seeking students (e.g., application deadlines, fees, drop/add, withdrawals, grading, retention policies, etc.).
Students who subsequently decide to pursue a degree must submit the appropriate admission application. Enrollment as a non-degree student does not guarantee admission to the University as a degree-seeking student. All information used to make an admission decision must be received by the published deadline.
There are two different categories of non-degree seeking student status: those who have previously earned a bachelor’s degree (Post-baccalaureate or “post-bacc”) and those who will not have a bachelor's degree before enrolling at FSU (Pre-baccalaureate or “pre-bacc”).
Non-degree seeking applications may be submitted online no earlier than one semester in advance of the term for which the applicant is seeking admission. Deadlines for each semester are as follows:
- Fall Semester - Deadline: August 1
- Spring Semester – Deadline: December 1
- Summer Semester – Deadline: May 1
|Postbaccalaureate Non-Degree (holds a bachelor's degree or higher)|
|Prebaccalaureate Non-Degree (holds the equivalent to a high school diploma and may have some college courses, but not a bachelor’s degree)|
Florida State University encourages applications for admission from qualified students regardless of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran or marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other protected group status in accordance with all pertinent federal, state, and local laws on non-discrimination and equal opportunity.