While orientation is mandatory, it will introduce you to the campus and campus life. We'd like to offer you a checklist of actions that will help make the orientation process meaningful.
Set Up Your FSU Profile
- Activate your FSUID at the myFSU portal. You will need the EMPLID information sent to you by email during the registration process for admission. You may set up your profile as soon as you have been admitted to Florida State University.
- Explore Student Central from the myFSU portal. This contains information many students find useful. You will find an icon link to Blackboard (Bb) here. This links you to academic course management information.
- Review your FSU email! This is how we communicate with you! Check this often please.
- After Orientation, you will be able to register for classes from the myFSU portal.
- FSUID Management page
Register and Pay for Orientation
Log into your myFSU account using your permanent FSUID. Click on the link to complete your orientation reservation. Please be sure you are registering for a session at FSU Panama City. The orientation fee is $35. and payable at the time of registration for orientation.
For New Freshman/Sophomore Students
- You may pre-register up to two (2) family members/guests to your orientation session walk-in space may be limited and we cannot guarantee a seat on the day of orientation. During various presentations and programs, family members/guests will learn more about all areas of a student's college experience. Spending this time with us provides family members with a great opportunity to ask questions and understand Florida State University Panama City and your college transition.
Apply for Financial Aid & Bright Futures Awards
- Apply for financial aid as early as possible each year. You can apply as early as January 1 using estimated income and tax return information.
- If eligible, apply for Bright Futures (while in high school) and notify Bright Futures which university you are attending.
Complete Health History/Immunization Information Compliance
- As an incoming student you are required to complete the Health History/Immunization Compliance forms (including immunizations information) and return them to the Panama City Office of Student Affairs before you will have access to course registration. You will not be able to register for courses at orientation until this is done.
- After submitting the Health History/Immunization Compliance Forms, you may call the Office of Student Affairs (850) 770-2170 to confirm your records are complete and clearance has been granted. Bring a back-up copy of this paperwork with you to orientation just to be sure.
Setting Up Your FSU Profile During Orientation
- If you did not set up your FSU Profile in advance, you'll get to do this during orientation. We'll show you how to access and use FSU's online academic systems, including myFSU Portal, @myFSU email, your financial aid and account statement/payment information, myFSU Student Central (class search & enrollment functions), and more.
Before Academic Advising at Orientation
- Review the Academics section of our web site. Be sure to identify Liberal Studies requirements you may need and review the major of your choice for other requirements you should consider.
- If you are a freshman or transferring sophomore, please bring any information you have about possible college credit including: AP, IB, AICE, CLEP (scores or a list of tests taken); Dual enrollment (college transcripts or list of courses); Transfer credit (transcripts or a list of courses).
- If you are an upper division transfer (junior or senior), please bring in transcripts of course credit to your academic advisor so that you may better prepare a course schedule prior to orientation.
Know your Rights & Responsibilities
Familiarize yourself with Students Rights and Responsibilities, which covers frequently used policies and guidelines which govern the student experience at Florida State University, including the Academic Honor Policy, Study Conduct Code, and other administrative policies/rules.
Title IX Notice: As a recipient of Federal financial assistance, FSU is required by Title IX to ensure that all of its education programs and activities are free from discrimination on the basis of sex. Additionally, the Florida Educational Equity Act prohibits discrimination in schools based on race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, disability, or marital status. FLA. STAT. § 1000.05 (2011). All members of the FSU Community should be familiar with the institution's equal opportunity, compliance, and complaint reporting policies as well as their rights under these policies: Office of Equal Opportunity & Compliance.
The community standard at The Florida State University, which guides conduct and influences policy is called Responsible Freedom. Responsible Freedom acknowledges that you have the right to justice and public order as well as the responsibility to protect the rights and privileges of fellow community members.
Learn about the Veterans Center & Access Your Educational Benefits (if applicable)
- Did you know that Florida State University is quickly becoming the most student veteran friendly University in the country? Whether you are an active service member, veteran, dependent of a veteran, or supportive member in our Seminole community, you should be aware of the many ways FSU is supporting the success of veterans at FSU and celebrating their active role on our campus. Learn about the Florida State University Veterans Center (Tallahassee web site) and how you can support its mission by visiting the website. If you're a new student veteran or a qualifying dependent of a United States veteran who plans to use your educational benefits under the GI Bill, begin that process now by visiting our FSU Panama City Military and Veterans Affairs website.
What to Bring to Orientation
- Photo Identification (so you can get your FSUCard if you have not already done so)
- Pen, paper & umbrella
- Comfortable walking shoes!!
- Book bag for orientation materials
- Backup copies of any transcripts, test scores, and your immunization records
- Your Seminole Smile!
Other Helpful links