Description of Major
The Elementary Education curriculum leads to a bachelor’s degree and eligibility for certification for teaching grades K-6 in the Florida public schools, ESOL and Reading Endorsements. Upon completion of the program you will earn a bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education.
Courses and Field Experience:
Program courses address classroom management, teaching methodologies in elementary subject areas, assessment, and working with diverse student populations. Most courses require field experiences in local public schools. A full-time internship in a public schools is a requirement in the final semester of the program.
Admission Requirements to the Upper-Division Major:
Applicants to Elementary Education are selected on the basis of multiple criteria: GPA and rigor of lower-division coursework.
Minimum admission requirements:
- Meet the general criteria for transfer into an FSU degree-granting program (see Bulletin).
- Complete all General Ed/Liberal Studies requirements or an A.A. degree within the Florida articulation agreement, with a grade of C or higher in each freshman English and each basic mathematics course. Students may apply prior to completing their A.A. degree.
- Complete the prerequisite pre-education coursework with grades of C minus or better (EDF 1005 Introduction to Education).
- Achieve an overall 2.5 GPA minimum.
- Satisfy the University Graduation Requirements of Oral Communication Competency, Computer Literacy, multicultural/diversity, and Natural Science Lab Requirement as outlined in general bulletin.
* Note: Meeting minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. *
Major Program of Study at FSU: (60 hours)
- Block 1
- MAE 4326 (3) How Children Learn Mathematics
- RED 4310 (3) Foundations of Reading
- SCE 4891 (3) Introduction to the Nature of Science and Scientific Inquiry for Elementary Teachers
- TSL 4520 (3) Cross-cultural Communication for Foreign/Second Language Teachers
- Block 2
- LAE 4314 (3) Language Arts and Literature in the Elementary School
- MAE 4114 (3) Learning Progressions in Elementary Mathematics
- RED 4510 (3) Teaching Reading for Understanding
- RED 4541 (3) Literacy Assessment
- TSL 4251 (3) Applied Linguistics for Second Language Learning
- Block 3 (Summer)
- EDG 4310 (3) Classroom Management and Legal Issues
- EEX 4070 (3) Including Students with Disabilities in the General Education Curriculum
- Block 4
- RED 4241 (3) Differentiating Reading Instruction
- RED 4941 (3) Reading and ESOL Practicum
- SCE 4892 (3) Problem-Based Science Learning for Elementary Teachers
- TSL 4080 (3) Language Principles for Teachers
- Block 5
- EDE 4943 (12) Student Teaching in the Elementary School (full-time)
Program completion requires:
Passing the FTCE General Knowledge, Professional Education, and Subject Area Tests (Florida Teacher Certification Exam) are required for teacher certification in the state of Florida. These must be completed prior to the semester in which the student plans to student teach.
- A minimum of 45 hours at the 3000 level or above, 30 of which must be taken at this University.
- All of the major course semester hours, must be completed in residence at this University.
- The final 30 hours must be completed in residence at this University.