Instructions on how to apply for graduation can be found at myFSU Student Central.
All students must apply for graduation online via my.fsu.edu in order to receive their degree. Doing so does not obligate them to participate in the commencement ceremony; that is a separate action. Students can begin applying online to receive their degree on the first day of classes and until the third week of classes of the term they wish to graduate. Check the Academic Calendar for the semester dates and deadlines.
If you have missed the university’s deadline to apply for graduation, please contact your academic college dean’s staff or call 850-770-2311 for assistance. You must be included on the graduation list for your academic college in order to participate in the commencement ceremony.
Students must meet minimum University requirements as well as the specific requirements for their major/minor to graduate. The specific University requirements are listed in the Undergraduate University General Bulletin under the section Undergraduate Degree Requirements. To inquire about remaining major/minor requirements needed to graduate students will need to make an appointment to meet with their academic advisor.
To be cleared for graduation, undergraduate students must complete the Graduating Senior Survey. This brief online survey asks about your post-graduation plans. Funding of the university depends on our ability to report this information so completion of the survey is a graduation requirement. The link to the survey will be sent to you two weeks prior to the last day of classes. The survey will be sent to undergraduate students only.
It is the student's responsibility to apply for graduation online through the myFSU Student Center by the end of the third week of the graduating semester in order to receive a diploma and have the degree posted on the student's transcript.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- Spring online graduation application period is from January 14 through January 25, 2019. Apply Online
- Spring Panama City commencement ceremony will be May 5, 2019, 1:30 p.m. at Edgewater Beach Resort, Panama City Beach
- Summer, early walker requests must be submitted between January 28 and March 1, 2019
- Spring cap and gown/announcement may be ordered through Herff Jones from January 14 to March 17, 2019 (be sure to click on link for Panama City Student). Orders after March 17, 2019 will result in late fees
- Spring cap and gown pickup is at the FSU Panama City Bookstore from April 22 through April 26, 2019
- Summer online graduation application period is estimated to be May 20, 2019 to May 31, 2019 (pending summer 2019 academic calendar)
- Tallahassee campus ceremonies
FSU Panama City's annual Commencement ceremony will be held on Sunday, May 5, 2019, at 1:30 p.m., at the Edgewater Beach Resort Conference Center on Panama City Beach.
Students who have graduated in the preceding summer or fall semesters, as well as students who have applied for graduation in the spring semester are invited to participate in the annual spring commencement ceremony. Four guest tickets are allotted per graduate. Additional guest tickets are not guaranteed but may be requested by email through your student email to email@example.com no later than March 17. All guests must have a ticket to enter the venue.
FSU Panama City students may also participate in the Tallahassee campus commencement ceremony, which is held each semester in Tallahassee. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about each semester's ceremonies on the Tallahassee campus.
Cap and gowns/announcements for both undergraduates and graduate level participants may be ordered through Herff Jones from January 14 to March 17, 2019, (be sure to click on link for Panama City Student).
For additional information, call the Panama City campus Office of Admissions & Records, (850) 770-2311.
Commencement will be held at the Edgewater Beach Resort Conference Center, located at 520 Richard Jackson Boulevard, Panama City Beach, FL 32407. Doors to the conference center will be opened for guests at 12:30 p.m. CST. The ceremony starts promptly at 1:30 p.m. CST. Guests are encouraged to arrive early and be seated prior to the start of the ceremony. Those with mobility or health issues are encouraged to arrive early to find appropriate seating. Once the graduation processional begins, FSU Police WILL NOT allow guests to enter the auditorium until all graduates have been seated. Guests are asked to please respect graduates by remaining in their seats until completion of the ceremony.
Florida State University Police will be on-site during Commencement to ensure the safety and welfare of all graduates and their guests. Students are asked to refrain from leaving valuables in the undergraduate and graduate dressing rooms.
Students who anticipate completing all degree requirements in the summer semester immediately following spring Commencement may submit written requests and departmental approvals to the FSU Panama City Office of Admissions & Records for consideration to participate in the spring Commencement ceremony. Students must wait until the 4th week of classes to submit their request. Summer Walkers should not apply to graduate online for the spring term.
- The deadline to request to be a Summer Walker for spring 2019 is March 1, 2019
- The deadline to order cap and gowns online is March 17, 2019
To participate early in the FSU Panama City spring Commencement (graduation) ceremony, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Have at least a 2.00 FSU grade point average at the time of request. (No exceptions)
- Be able to complete all degree requirements in the major(s)/minor, electives or internships by the end of the summer semester immediately following Commencement
- Have completed all liberal studies and university requirements prior to summer term
- Will have completed the admission's foreign language requirement, if remaining, by the end of the summer term
- Meet (or e-mail) with their faculty/advisor or Academic Dean's office to receive written confirmation that all degree requirements in major(s)/minors or electives will be complete by the end of the summer term immediately following spring commencement Students who have a double major/dual degree must have approval for each major/degree.
- Once a student’s summer graduation eligibility is confirmed, the academic department completes the Summer/Early Walker graduation memo and sends it to the Panama City Office of Admissions & Records (email to: email@example.com) by the above deadline.
If approved to be a summer walker, the student will receive a confirmation e-mail to their student e-mail address. Please allow up to one week for confirmation to be sent after the request and departmental approval has been submitted. Once approved, students should immediately go online to Herff Jones to reserve a cap and gown for the ceremony. Cap and gown orders after March 17, 2019 must be made in person at the FSU Bookstore. A late fee will be added to these orders.
Degrees of Distinction
Only undergraduate students are eligible for degrees of distinction. Every level of degree distinction (Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, Summa Cum Laude) requires you to meet the qualifications for BOTH Cum GPA AND Combined Cum. Both GPA calculations have the same qualifying value range into which your average must fall to earn the specified degree of distinction.
The table found on the university Registrars webpage illustrates the required value range combinations and provides further definitions.
Please note: Your anticipated level of degree distinction may vary after the final graduation check is completed. Due to spring grades/GPAs not officially posting until after the graduation commencement ceremony, all spring graduate’s calculations for degrees of distinction will be based on the student’s Fall 2018 GPAs. Those participants that graduated in summer and fall 2018 whose distinction is already posted on their FSU undergraduate transcript will also be eligible.
The FSU Panama City Admissions & Records staff will determine each participating student’s eligibility and provide the appropriate honor cord when students pick up their commencement regalia/guest tickets the week of April 22. Please contact Brandi Barnes at 850-770-2311 if you have any further questions.