Message from Council President Lettye Burgtorf
Thank you to all in the OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) at FSU, PC30A community for giving me the opportunity to be your Advisory Council President. It’s an honor to serve in this capacity alongside the great volunteers who have kept this program successful in our community. I am so happy you all have a vision for education for adults in our community. I am also grateful for all of the original members and new members who enjoy learning.
I’m especially thankful to Steve Howard, the past President, who was also the first President for OLLI at FSU, PC30A since 2019. I was with Steve at the inception of this program. Steve bravely accepted this position and has led the way for a growing, up-and-coming program.
This position is in my heart because I have always said that my life goal is to provide an educational experience for various ages, especially for seasoned adults. There is always so much to learn, and OLLI is a great way to provide classes that bring people together while learning something new.
Although this Fall semester is near completion, please look at our options for the remainder of this term for Membership, Class, and Activity Registration.
Let’s all come together to make a difference in our community by being a part of an active learning experience with exciting educational opportunities through OLLI!!!
I love to bring people together, and I love education so let’s have a blast this year!!
REGISTRATION spring semester - February 1
OLLI at FSU, PC30A offers educational non-credit courses as well as entertainment through classes, field trips, socials, special events and travel. Courses cover a wide range of topics including art, sports, history, literature, science, music, etc. It is stress-free learning with no homework, no grades and no degrees required.
Designed as a member-centered organization, OLLI allows students to expand their intellectual horizons, engage in social activities, participate in volunteer opportunities and hold key leadership positions within the organization.
Funding: The majority of the funding will come from membership dues, course fees, and Donors. Contributions can be made to the local PC30A fund to help expand course offering, lectures and other activities.
Class locations: St. Joe Corp Campus, Ohana Institute, other locations on 30A, Tallahassee campus and Zoom (if applicable).
Local Mission: The mission of OLLI at FSU PC30A is to promote a community of lifelong learning through intellectual, social and cultural programs.
OLLI Participation Reminder: OLLI is a membership-based organization. Members pay an annual membership fee of $95. This fee allows members to participate in bonus sessions, socials, and travel opportunities. Course fees usually range from $15 to $105.
Class Environment: We will continue to offer classes in various ways to support a healthy environment. Classes may be in-person on 30A and surrounding areas; on Zoom (if available); or at FSU – Tallahassee.
Lettye Burgtorf, Council President
Billy Buzzett, First Vice President
Sam McInnis, Vice President Curriculum
Julie Martin, Curriculum
Elaine Parrett, Curriculum
Austin Bentley, Curriculum
Martha Stroop, Curriculum
Tess Cox, Curriculum
Fred Buehler, Communication
Margaret Walters Gamble
Greetings OLLI Members and Future Members
Start this spring off with meeting up with OLLI friends and making new contacts as we enhance our learning in a new season.
Coming Soon!! OLLI at FSU PC30A Spring 2023 Classes
REGISTRATION Begins February 1st
22 Feb: Introduction to Facebook
- Presenter: Kathryn Barley-Dier Location: Watercrest 205 W. Hewett Rd, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459. Time: 2-4 pm CT
23 Feb: Introduction to Twitter
- Presenter: Destiny Hansley. Location: Watercrest 205 W. Hewett Rd, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459. Time: 2-4 pm CT
9 Mar: A Writer’s Perspective
- Presenter: Ann Kief. Location: Watercrest 205 W. Hewett Rd, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459. Time: 2-4 pm CT
14 Mar: Extracting DNA
- Presenter: Jessica Graham. Location: Ohana Institute 12805 US Hwy 98 East Suite J100 Inlet Beach. Time: 4-6pm CT
15 Mar: Clay Sculpting - Imagination Through the Use of Clay
- Presenter: Kim Eifrid. Location: Bay Point Yacht Club, 3822 Hatteras Ln, Panama City Beach. Time: 4-6 pm CT
20 Mar: Emergency Preparedness
- Presenter: John Tory Peek. Location: Ohana Institute 12805 US Hwy 98 East Suite J100 Inlet Beach. Time: 4-6pm CT
21 Mar: Couples/Two-Person Portrait Class
- Presenter: Allison Wickey. Location: Studio #7.1 at 416 Hwy 393 South, Santa Rosa Beach. Time: 2:00-4:30 pm CT
22 Mar: Sea Turtle Conservation through Awareness and Education
- Presenter: Beth Coppedge. Location: Bay Point Yacht Club, 3822 Hatteras Ln, Panama City Beach. Time: 4-6 pm CT
4 Apr: Decision Making: A Consumer Behavior Perspective
- Presenter: Brian Parker. Location: Ohana Institute 12805 US Hwy 98 East Suite J100 Inlet Beach. Time: 4-6pm CT
5 Apr: Brain Gym Adventure
- Presenter: Anne Hornstein. Location: Watercrest 205 W. Hewett Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459. Time: 2-4 pm CT
“Stay Curious Speaker Series on 30A” (Free for everyone)
7 Feb: A Rewarding Career of an FBI Agent
- Presenter: Lucy Hoover. Time: 5 pm CT. Location: Ohana Institute, 12805 US Hwy 98 East Suite J100 Inlet Beach.
1 Mar: Learn About the Nation's First Underwater Museum of Art
- Presenters: Walt Hartley, Allison Wickey, Jennifer Steele, and Melinda Gates. Time: 2:00 pm CT. Location: Cultural Alliance of Walton County, 105 Hog Town Bayou Ln. Santa Rosa Beach.
28 Mar: Documentary of the Springs
- Presenter: Oscar Corral. Time: 5 pm CT. Location: Ohana Institute, 12805 US Hwy 98 East Suite J100 Inlet Beach.
29 Mar: Documentary of the Springs Day 2
- Presenter: Oscar Corral. Time: 10:00 am CT. Location: Morrison Springs, Ponce De Leon.
*For more information, contact Margaret Walters Gamble, Learning Coordinator at OLLI at FSU, PC30A, 850-304-7143. Check us out at pc.fsu.edu/olli and olli.fsu.edu