A team of FSU Panama City individuals, referred to as the Promise Team, stands ready to support faculty with meeting Canvas minimum expectations for fall 2020. Additionally, the Office of Distance Learning (ODL) and Center for the Advancement of Teaching (CAT), are excellent resources for faculty.
Fall 2020 Canvas Minimum Expectations* (CMEs):
- All courses should utilize an ODL created canvas template (the PC Campus template is the preferred template.)
- See how to import the ODL template from the Commons by watching this short video.
- The “Start Here” page of the course template should be completed and include an Introductory Video from the Professor. This video should be created with Kaltura (ideally) and transcribed.
- See how to record and post a recorded video in Kaltura by watching this short video.
- The “Syllabus” page of the template should be completed, including a list of measurable Course Learning Objectives. Watch this short video.
- The “Modules” section of the template should be prepared and clearly organized with materials and activity sections for each unit/week.
- See how to record and post a video in Kaltura by watching this short video.
- See how to post documents (PowerPoints, notes, etc.) by watching this short video.
- See how to create quizzes/exams by watching this short video.
- See how to set up a discussion board by watching this short video.
- See how to set up Announcements by watching this short video.
- All courses should include a first day/week assignment to encourage further activity in Canvas throughout the semester. This assignment can also be utilized for attendance reporting. (Examples may include a discussion post where students introduce themselves to one another or a course policies quiz.)
- All grades should be posted in the Canvas grade book – which requires entering assignment descriptions into Canvas – the Promise team will help with organizing assignments and trainings for grade entry. *
- See how to post grades in Canvas by watching this short video.
- How to edit Kaltura videos.
The Promise Team stands ready to provide a “concierge style” service to assist faculty if they require assistance, with meeting all CMEs for the Fall semester. If you are scheduled to teach a Fall class, you will receive an email from a Promise Team member. Here is what you can expect if you need assistance:
The Promise Team will
- request a copy of your syllabus or you may submit your course information below;
- import the ODL Template into your Fall canvas course shells;
- build out the Start Here Page, the Syllabus Page and set up a framework for your Modules including the first day/first week assignment.
- set up a Zoom session with you to demonstrate what has been built and discuss the next steps;
- provide just-in-time training as needed;
- assist with posting your introductory video;
- provide weekly optional training sessions led by Dr. Kevin Bell on Best Practices:
- provide a full diagnostic report of your course – pre-requisite three modules / units or weeks’ worth of content from Dr. Bell, with tips and suggestions for optimal delivery and student engagement.