Description of Major
Professionals in Recreation, Tourism and Events manage facilities, programs and services that enrich people’s lives through high-quality and memorable leisure-time experiences. Tourism and recreation activities are an integral part of people’s lifestyles, and billions of dollars are spent annually on recreation, tourism and events in public, private and nonprofit recreation agencies and businesses.
To be admitted to this program, students must have completed an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree from a Florida public institution or have completed at least 60 hours of coursework, including six (6) hours of Freshman English Composition, six (6) hours of college-level math, and no more than six (6) hours remaining of the Liberal Studies (general education) requirements. Students must also have completed CGS X060 or CGS X100 and have satisfied CLAS.
Coursework (60 Hours)
All students in this program are required to earn a C- or better in required coursework and obtain certification in First Aid and CPR prior to internship.
Professional Course Requirements (28 hours)
- LEI 3004 (3) Introduction to Recreation, Tourism and Events
- LEI 3312 (3) Introduction to Special Events
- LEI 3420 (3) Recreation Activities Leadership
- LEI 3435 (3) Recreation Program Design
- LEI 3843 (3) Commercial Recreation and Tourism
- LEI 4551 (3) Administration of Leisure Systems
- LEI 4602 (3) Planning and Maintenance of Facilities
- LEI 4881 (3) Assessment, Research and Evaluation
- LEI 4524 (3) Leadership and Supervision in Recreation, Tourism and Events
- LEI 4930 (1) Senior Seminar
Experiential Courses (17 hours)
- LEI 4921A/4921B (1, 1) Field Work in Leisure
- LEI 4940 (15) Internship in Leisure Services
Major Electives (15)
- 15 hours of major electives must be taken from the approved list provided to students upon program admission.
Computer Skills Competency: CGS 2060 (3) or CGS 2100 (3)
Oral Communication Competency: 0-3 hours
Students must demonstrate the ability to orally transmit ideas and information clearly. This requirement may be met through appropriate high school speech training or with an approved college-level course.
Minimum Program Requirements - Summary
Total Hrs. Required 120
Liberal Studies 36
Major Coursework 60
Computer Skills 3
Oral Competency 0-3
Electives to bring total hours to 120
- The final 30 hours must be in residence at FSU.
- A minimum of 45 hours must be earned at the 3000/4000 (junior/senior) level, including 30 of these hours at Florida State University. At least half of the courses for the major must be taken at FSU.
- All students in this program are required to obtain certification in First Aid and CPR prior to internship.
Minor in Recreation, Tourism & Events Degree Requirements
The minor in Recreation, Tourism & Events provides students the opportunity to explore this dynamic career field.
Minor Program (12 hours)
- LEI 3004 Introduction to Recreation (3)
9 hours selected from:
- LEI 3266 Outdoor Adventure Education (3)
- LEI 3312 Introduction to Special Events (3)
- LEI 3420 Recreation Activities Leadership (3)
- LEI 3435 Recreation Program Design (3)
- LEI 3843 Commercial Recreation & Tourism (3)
- LEI 4524 Leadership & Supervision (3)
- LEI 4314 Event Operations and Management (3)
- LEI 4561 Event Promotions (3)
- LEI 4864 Technology for Events (3)
Recreation, Tourism & Events also offers an undergraduate Certificate in Special Events.