Degree: Bachelor of Science
Limited Access: Yes
Description of Major
The Business Administration program at FSU Panama City is committed to providing students the general education and technical knowledge necessary to enter the business environment and to pursue a successful professional career. It is a challenging journey that explores both the business and government sectors and the challenges and opportunities of today and tomorrow.
In the first two years at FSU, students should take courses to complete the following requirements: General Education requirements, Multicultural Course requirements, and Prerequisite Coursework requirements. Some courses may fulfill requirements in multiple areas. Electives in the first two years should focus on gaining additional exposure to the social and behavioral sciences, and on improving communication and analytical reasoning skills. The Business Administration degree is flexible, with 9 to 12 hours of general (outside the major) electives.
21 hours. The following courses must be completed with a C minus or better:
- ACG X021 (3) Introduction to Financial Accounting
- ACG X071 (3) Introduction to Managerial Accounting
- CGS X100 (3) Microcomputer Applications for Business or CGS X518 (3) Spreadsheets for Business
- ECO X013 (3) Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECO X023 (3) Principles of Microeconomics
- MAC X233 (3) Calculus for Business and Non-Physical Sciences
- STA X023 (3) Business Statistics
Note: State-wide common prerequisites are always under review. For the most current information and for acceptable alternative courses, visit the “Common Prerequisites Manual.” This is available from the “Student Services” section of http://www.flvc.org.
Admission to the limited access business programs requires the following: 1) completion of at least 52 semester hours; 2) a cumulative grade point average on all college work attempted of at least 2.30; and 3) satisfactory completion of all required prerequisite coursework.
Major Program of Studies at FSU: 45-48 hours depending on if CGS 2518 was taken as a prerequisite.
Courses taken at a Community College may not be substituted for 3000/4000 level courses.
Non-Business Required Course (0-3 hours)
- CGS 2518 (3) Spreadsheets for Business
Lower-Division Requirement (3 hours)
This course is a Term 4 milestone. Transfer students must complete it in their first term of enrollment at FSU.
- RMI 2302 (3) Risk in Business and Society
General Business Core Requirements for Business Administration Majors (15 hours):
- BUL 3310 (3) The Legal and Ethical Environment of Business
- FIN 3403 (3) Financial Management of the Firm
- GEB 3213 (3) Business Communications
- MAN 3240 (3) Organizational Behavior
- MAR 3023 (3) Basic Marketing Concepts
General Business Breadth Requirements for Business Administration Majors (9 hours):
Each of the following:
- FIN 3244 (3) Financial Markets, Institutions, and International Finance Systems
- MAN 4720 (3) Strategic Management and Business Policy
- MAN 4752 (3) Competitive Dynamics
Major Area Requirements for Business Administration Majors (18 hours):
One FIN course, one MAN course, and one MAR course chosen from the following:
- FIN 4XXX (3) Any 4000-level Finance Course (FIN prefix)
- MAN 4XXX (3) Any 4000-level Management Course (MAN prefix)
- MAR 4XXX (3) Any 4000-level Marketing Course (MAR prefix)
Plus three (3) additional business electives from the following:
- 3000/4000 level Finance course (FIN)
- 3000/4000 level Management Information Systems course (ISM)
- 3000/4000 level Management course (MAN)
- 3000/4000 level Marketing course (MAR)
- 3000/4000 level Real Estate course (REE)
- 3000/4000 level Risk Management course (RMI)
- 3000/4000 level Entrepreneurship course (ENT)
Computer Skills Competency: 0 hours beyond prerequisites. CGS 2100 (3) or CGS 2518 (3).
Oral Communication Competency: 0 additional hours.
Students must demonstrate the ability to orally transmit ideas and information clearly. Business majors must complete GEB 3213, which meets this requirement.
Minimum Program Requirements - Summary
Total Hours Required 120
General Education 36*
Prerequisite Coursework 21*
Major Coursework 42
Minor Coursework 0
Computer Skills 0 beyond prerequisites
Oral Communication Competency 0 beyond major
Electives to bring total credits to 120 (must complete at least 60 credits outside of business
*Some Prerequisite courses may also be counted as part of General Education.
Mapping is FSU’s academic advising and monitoring system. Academic progress is monitored each Fall and Spring semester to ensure that students are on course to earn their degree in a timely fashion. Transfer students must meet mapping guidelines to be accepted into their majors. Map for Business.
- Must complete at least 60 hours outside of business.
- A minimum of 45 hours at the 3000 level or above, at least 30 of which must be taken at this University.
- At least half of the major course semester hours must be completed in residence at this University. After enrolling at this University, all remaining major course requirements must be completed at this University.
- The final 30 hours must be completed in residence at this University.
- Courses used to satisfy General Business Breadth requirement cannot be used to satisfy other requirements.
Salary Information: National Association of Colleges and Employers, Occupational Outlook Handbook
Representative Job Titles Related to this Major: Management Trainee, Supervisor Owner, Supervisor, Budget Officers, Department Manager, General Manager, Forms & Management Analyst, Planning Analyst, Sales Manager, Operations Director.
Representative Employers: Manufacturers, Insurance Companies, Retailers, Investment Firms, Government Agencies, Banks.